Friday, August 5, 2011

A New Kid...but not too new.

Macie has been testing me.  Negotiating, arguing, defying... etc.  It's been tough, especially now that I don't have a place I can drop her off and get a break.  Nope, we are home and not even pre-school for the summer.  In fact, this summer is the first time Macie and I have spent this much time together since my maternity leave 4 years ago!  Don't get me wrong - I am so super grateful, but it aint easy!  Sometimes I feel like an awesome mom... making three balanced, healthy meals, planning activities, reading lots of books, going to the pool... but more often, I still feel that same ol' mom guilt that plagued me when I worked full time.  Macie watching way too much television, and me, trying to tackle everything around this house that needs tending.  And sometimes, I find myself lost in the trance of "The View" or other mid-morning show while halfway neglecting the kids.
And with so much time together, surely it is normal that Macie has wanted to test my limits.  Oh that girl can talk.  And talk.  And talk.  And argue.  I can lose my mind too.
So, at the recommendation of some other mom's, I got a book called "Have a New Kid by Friday".  and "Dare to Discipline".   Both books had some great points, and also some points I disagree with, but, after a couple weeks of boot camp, I think we are in a really good place.  I'll tell you, this parenting thing... it's not for wusses!
For now, we have a new kid.  Our little Macie has been surprisingly respectful lately, and when she starts to give attitude, we quickly remove ourselves from the situation for a chat.  When I whisk Macie away, she'll be the first one to say, "Oh, we are going to talk about behavior and feelings".  It's true.

The good news is that while Macie has made some changes for the better, she is still her silly self.  We just returned from an awesome trip to Colorado (More pics coming soon).  Here is one photo of my sister Gina.  This was after Macie did her make-up.  Macie told her she was "going to look SO beautiful... just like Lady Gaga"  Ha! Ended up being a pretty true statement!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Haha, Lady Gina looks amazing!

You are such a great mom!!! We can all relate.

Wish we could have met up in Colorado. Maybe I will have to come to Nashville...

Love you guys!!!!

Jackie said...

In Colorado and you didn't call...

I'm totally kidding. I hope you had a good visit with the fam'. Look forward to your pics.

Sarah said...

Macie might have a future career in professional cosmetology for the stars! Gina really does look like Lady Gaga! :)

gina marie said...

First, I just want to thank you for posting that picture of me. And second I adore Macie...you are doing such a fabulous job! She is the kind of kid I enjoy being around. Even when she crosses her arms and promises to start crying for the rest of her life...starting in just minute.

carrie said...

Do the books you mentioned cover 9 year old girls? Or just preschoolers?