Monday, September 14, 2009

Changing Plans

"Man makes a plan, and God Laughs"

Oh, I was making plans. Big plans. Plans to finish painting Macie's room. It must be done before big girl bed arrives in October.Plans to re-create this with my own hands. (Looks so simple! How can PB get away with charging $79?)Plans to make this wreath I bought which Eric calls "hideous" somehow work in our house-- mostly just to prove him wrong.I had plans to make a peach cobbler for Eric's family visiting this weekend. I was going to use this recipe.
I had plans to get my hair cut during the store hours of my stylist's salon. (He is Scott Taylor - he used to be Barbara Walters stylist and the stylist on the set of Facts of Life, and the stylist for the rock band Cinderella...but really, I do trust him with my hair.)
I had plans to get my right blinker fixed on my car. (People have been honking for a while now... finally figured out the problem!)
and MORE PLANS... ridiculous, but do-able plans, because...
I had planned on being fired today.
Massive layoffs at my work were anticipated and expected. I was sure it was in my destiny. I gave Macie's school a two-week notice, I made a hair appointment for Wednesday morning, I was hell bent on being fired. I left a pile of laundry on the couch knowing I'd have plenty of time tomorrow.
Well, today came and went, and almost half of the company went. I am here. Employed.
I should be celebrating? I suppose. More, I am sad for those who made plans to keep their job. I am suddenly overwhelmed with my new assignment. An assignment to become an expert in a realm I know little about and accomplish A LOT in a little amount of time. And maybe coming home to a pile of laundry on the couch didn't help.
Back to the routine... back to planning around the 9-5. Macie continues to see the boys and girls 3-4 times a week at school. All is normal... the same as it's been... although I was planning for change.
Good news is that I get to keep the cleaning lady.

3 comments:

carrie said...

I really liked your post. I can relate. On my way to work i heard a great song on my christian rock station called, "Joy" by The Newsboys. I wasn't very excited to be coming into work on such a beautiful day but the song really lifed my spirits.

Katie said...

You are so funny and witty and lovely. Plans change. I'm certain you'll still be funny and witty and lovely and that's all that matters. That and I'm a huge fan of you and your family.

As for the hair, today was the second hair cut in which, I brought my kids. They sat and read books after their cuts while she shampooed and razorcut mine. She's 19 and sassy and she may not be Scott Taylor but damn straight, she can reshape my head. It's important. Hope you can reschedule.

gina marie said...

That wreath is hideous! Throw it out!