Saturday, March 10, 2012

Curious mind... my exhausted brain!

I do love the end of the day, after all is said and done, when I peak into the girls room and see them konked out. The rhythm of their breaths sound like they are catching up from their nonstop pace from the day.  It's about that time that I pour myself a glass of wine.  Ahhhhhhh!!!
I usually reflect on the day, tally up my short-comings, and then proceed to pick up the trails they left behind all over our house. The pile of sugar on the counter top that Macie helped herself to... pretending it was snow for her dolls (and I did yell at her for that.  Shortcoming #1). Finley's cardboard books strewn all over our living room floor. The ones with the dogs are her favorites... oh she laughs a hearty little laugh whenever she sees a dog (real, drawn, picture, etc). Macie's pile of pictures. Pictures of everyone, pictures of aliens, pictures of rainbows, pictures of hearts. Finley's old sippy cup is always sitting upright, hidden in our houseplant.
Today Macie asked me why tongues are pink. I was trying to pay attention to "The Voice" on tv, and I gave her a quick, mostly thoughtless answer, hoping it would appease her. (Because, seriously, I have NO idea but...) the first thing that came to mind was, "Because it's a muscle. All muscles are pink". That spurred more questions, and I may have actually shushed her because wanted to hear Kelly Clarkson sing! I was getting irritated, and I know - I KNOW what's important here. It is not the tv show!!! So, why could I not just turn it off, and look her in the eye, maybe take her to the computer and do a little research with her... Why is a tongue pink? She proceeded with, "well then, I guess our throats are muscles and our whole mouth's are muscles... oh, I have led her astray! Tomorrow I will be better.  I find myself saying that a lot.  Tomorrow... I WILL BE BETTER.  I mean it!  I am such a work in progress!  I should be pretty darn perfect by the time I'm 90.
Next week, Macie is going to be 5!  Ohhhhh my goodness!  I am so super excited for her because this is such a magical number in her head.  She is not 4 anymore, she is 4 AND A HALF.  And don't you dare say she is 4.  Because she will correct you.  We are excited about her birthday party.  It's a princess dance party.  Girls will come dressed in their best princess attire, and will learn a choreographed dance (the song is TBD).  And shortly after that, we will be taking Macie to meet the ultimate princesses... at Disney World!
Finley is growing into her own skin now too!  Her first word was "Milk".  She says it all the time, and it sounds more like a foreign word with accent.  She says, "Meeeeelllllkkkkkk"  Really dragging it out! And it is practical enough that her 2nd word learned was Cookie.  "KooooooKIE!".  Because, we get cookies every time we go to Publix.  At precisely 8 am every morning, I give Fin the go-ahead to "Wake up Daddy!"  and she smiles super big and quickly waddles her way down the hall, to our room, and puts her face right where Eric sleeps and says, "DADA!  Hi!"
The girls LOVES dogs!  I finally found a couple apps to appease her in the waiting room at the dentist office.  Apps with just very plain pics of puppies and dogs.  As we scrolled through pics, you would have thought there was something so hilarious going on - belly laughs at every pic.  It is SO fun.  Smush your face kind of cute.  I LOVE this age.
And how about the fact that we are counting DOWN.  21 days to be exact.  21 measly days until we get Eric for 30 FULL days!  HELLO SABBATICAL!!! We are cramming the fun into the first 15 days and then the other half will be tackling my honey-do list that is 5 years in the making.  Yes, he has a LOT to do.  It includes lots of fun stuff like changing light fixtures and even laying a stone patio in our back yard.  I did also sign him up to run the Country Music half marathon with me.  I might not even let him sleep during these 30 days, because I am trying to squeeze as much of out of the guy as possible.  Only because I know, come May 1, it's back to business.  Long hours, yada yada ya... maybe I should call the doctor for some prozack...I'm already feeling the need just thinking it.
And while I am rambling about random stuff...Macie has quite the friendship circle at school.  She has 3 BFF's, and her teacher says that this foursome is inseparable. Macie, Addie, Anna Kate and Hannah.  I love that!  Here is a picture of the girls... all wearing outfits with "puffy sleeves".




No comments: