Friday, May 18, 2012

We were just kids...

Yesterday, May 17 was our wedding anniversary.  We had a wonderful evening. A date out, which is such a treat! We found ourselves saying... "NINE YEARS!!!" a lot... just in awe.  Not that we have made it this long - but rather, what amazing and full years they have been.  While we certainly feel like adults now, we feel like young adults.  And if we are young adults now, then what were we 9 years ago?  Kids. Thats' what we were.  Kids.  Taking a gamble on love.  It was one that paid off with infinite return.
I remember falling HEAD OVER HEALS in love.  I couldn't see straight, I couldn't think straight.  My days in classes at CSU were professors speaking Charlie Brown's mom's language ("wha wha wa wa whaaaaa") in the background and I had heart shaped pupils.  Daydreaming of what could be.... This boy was cute.  He was just enough of a rebel to be enticing and his brown eyes melted me.  He even passed one of my big tests... he had a great "phone voice".  Yep.  I'm not shallow at all, am I?  I chose the man I was going to marry based on his phone voice.  Masculine.  That's what I was looking for.  Nothing too nasaly..
He passed my rigorous 5 point test (gorgeous, funny, phone voice, athletic, driven) and to top it off...  The boy was a poet!  I still have the very first poem he wrote me.  I remember reading it over and over... I had it memorized for years.


We were 20 when we started dating and 23 when we got married.  Now, that is YOUNG.  We were different people back then, and we grew up... together.
God certainly had a hand in us getting together.  Too many coincidences, and let's face it, I wasn't exactly looking for real deep everlasting traits of a lifetime partner.  BUT.  I got them!
Many many poems later, and while I still seriously LOVE his phone voice,  I am in awe of these 9 years. I couldn't ask for a better companion or best friend.  2 beautiful girls, a dog and a roof over our heads.  God is Good.

No comments: