Yey for 2009!
Happy New Year to my friends. I'm sure you all are reading these words with double vision as you recover from your hangovers. (haha). Our night was low-key to say the least. With Eric away doing inventory (because that's what happens on the last day of every month), Macie and I held down the fort. We watched the first 15 minutes of Shrek 2 and she fell asleep. Then I partied. I had a glass of wine, and ate cheese and popcorn.
So... resolutions?? Tis the season! I want to know yours... and you want to know mine, don't you? Lets see....
1) Normally, I pledge to get in shape, start eating better.... but I have to say that for the past 2-3 weeks I have been doing just that. I vow to keep this up, because at this point, I know I can.
2) My sister got me going with this one: I want to send birthday cards on peoples b-days. Because doesn't it feel so nice getting cards from unexpected people on your birthday? And personally, I think a card in the mail is WAY better than an online greeting.
3) I have a bike, and so does Eric. And we have not used our bikes in quite a(long)while, but this year we will. I'm getting them all tuned up, getting Macie a little wagon thingy, and off we go.....
4) I'm going to give more. This year I want to give time in addition to $$.
5) Starting today, I will not go to bed at night without all clean laundry folded and put away. Ugh, that dang laundry is my achilles heel. I have a perma pile on our loveseat. Sometimes folded, sometimes not. I don't mind actually doing laundry, but I hate putting it away for some reason.
6) I (we) will save enough money to have a nice family vacation in a new destination (like Southeast Asia... or maybe San Fransisco) early 2010.
6) I will meet my neighbors, and become their best friends, and we will have SO much fun.
7) I will wake up 1 hour prior to Macie... my days always start off so much better when I do this.
8) I will make Eric a happy husband. And be #1 mom to Macie.
9) I will meet someone famous and get invited to their dinner parties.
And thats all for now. Obviously, some of those are more serious than others.
Here are Eric's resolutions:
1) Drink More Water.
thats all. I guess he's perfect beyond that.
Macie's resolutions
1) Poo Poo and Pee Pee in the Potty
2) Be nicer to Mommy in the mornings.
3) Continue to be so darn cute!
Now, for those of you who want to be healthier this year... I have a new, and wonderful recipe for you to try. It's delish, and makes a great leftovers lunch. I highly recommend Tilapia to those who are new to cooking and eating fish. It's not fishy at all. It think it tastes like a really tender wonderful chicken. EAT IT.
Tilapia with Basil and Orzo
Calories: 245
Carbohydrates: 25g
Protein: 25g
Fat: 5g
Servings: 4
Ingredients
4 cups water
2/3 cup orzo
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 4-ounce tilapia
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
6 fresh basil leaves, torn
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
Instructions
In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the orzo, or other small pasta, and cook until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Stir in the scallions, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Set aside.
Meanwhile, warm 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Sprinkle the fish (tilapia or cod fillets) with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and add to the skillet. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer, until opaque in the center.
In a small mixing bowl, toss together the tomato, basil, lemon juice, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, line each of 4 plates with 1/2 cup of the spinach, then top with the orzo and a piece of fish. Drizzle with the basil dressing and serve.
4 comments:
mmmm...I love basil and orzo...will try tilapia...
my resolutions...hmmm drink less alcohol and read more, stalk blogs less...not sure I can keep to either or them. Twilight is awesome so far. Real page turner.
P.S. My birthday is February 6th !!! haha.
You are SO inspiring! Thanks for the recipe. And did you not have a few suggestions for Eric to add to his list. More water? Really? That's it? Just kidding Eric...we know you are perfect!!!!
I'm going to try your recipe. I haven't officially made any resolutions. But I would really like to eat more fish. Last year my resolution was to figure out how to post and sell something on ebay. In Dec, I made a whole $10 on Craigslist. I consider my 2008 resolution successfully completed and just in the nic of time.
I don't really care about getting cards on my birthday, but I noticed you also want to give more $$. So if there is $$ in my card, I would love to get one.
I think my birthday is tomorrow. Do I have $$ coming?
Where is your resolution to stop eating anything with sugar in it?
Post a Comment