I remember this time last year, just thinking I didn't know how long I could take it. The commute alone was making me a crazy person. Macie had a somewhat volatile attitude, she demanded certain music and LOUD too, would randomly throw her drink up to the front seat, would drop her snack, cry and scream, and there were more than a couple times I thought I might just start crying myself - in fact, I do believe I had a good cry session once. It was definitely not a way to unwind after a long day at work.
It's taken just about a year to get over this hump. Yes, a year. But I think I might just have a system down.
Every day after school, she knows that sliced apples and cold vanilla milk are for her enjoyment for the ride home (after she confirms that she will not spill nor pour the milk out). And we talk! We talk about what she did that day, we talk about what she learned. Yesterday she told me that they saw TWO worms outside, and Hudson picked them up! EWE! She catches me up on the things she has learned. Like how she can count to 10 in spanish, and she knows her colors too! We talk about going "pee pee in the potty" (she's not there yet) and maybe "poo-poo" will come up in the conversation, but it's always followed by "We don't talk about that!"
Sometimes she plays on her "blackberry" - which by the way is a miracle worker, and probably one of the best gifts ever! (It's a leap frog toy - looks like a blackberry, and that's what we call it! BIG THX Damien and Dawn!)
The funny thing is that now that Macie and I have a mutual understanding - and we are both HAPPY, we can actually enjoy the scenery! Which, by the way, is simply gorgeous! We pass cows, and horses, and goats, and ponies, and even a mama and baby buffalo. We go through winding roads with few stoplights. The leaves are changing, and I am so incredibly GRATEFUL for my blessings! We are TRULY blessed, and this gift has been right in front of me for the past year on these commutes. It's an amazing display of the Good of God, which I may not have recognized because I have been somewhat distracted by the blasting music, the unhappy camper, and the spilled milk in the back seat.




4 comments:
That is a BEAUTIFUL drive! You are so very fortunate to have a content little camper to share it with (now). It's amazing the difference a year can make in the life of a child.
Love this blog. The scenery is amazing. And the best part is, the time you spend with Macie will only get better as she matures.
Hi there. How beautiful. Ok, so I stalk you from Katie V's blog. Just wondering, do you ever see or hear of TelluRide where you are? My cousin plays the piano and some vocals in it?
Hi!
I know who you are, I stalk your blog too :) Crazy little blogging world we live in!
Never heard of TelluRide, but now I'll be sure to keep a lookout for them. Very cool! See if you can find out when/where they're playing next!
Post a Comment