Friday, June 17, 2011

SAHM. This is what I've been missing...


I'm embracing the whole SAHM thing. You know, SAHM? Oh, I didn't know what that was until about a week ago. Stay-At-Home-Mom. That's what "we" call ourselves. It's a club I tell you. Well, I joined the MOMS club (actual club and I paid my $25 to join)... but even without that official club, I am in the unsaid club of other minivan driving moms (except I don't have a minivan even though I am not opposed, and maybe an inkling jealous). But now, I run into the same faces everywhere and every day - even on a random wednesdays at Publix in the checkout line, or when Macie disappears at Costco I'll find her hugging a familiar friend who happens to be another regular at Kids World at the YMCA. Then church, the neighborhood park, story-time at the library. It's a whole new world. A yahoo group of moms trading coupons, and sharing parenting advice and setting up playgroups. Run-ins and passerby conversations with discussions about teething and digestive habits (diaper blow-outs, etc.). I'm learning minivans and their identifying bumperstickers. I'm in all kinds of databases for alerts of free activities around town. Story time schedules, pick-your-own strawberry farms, free movie nights, craft time at Michaels, etc. etc.
It still feels a little wierd. For some reason, I always imagined myself working. My mom worked when I was growing up, and I really actually love work. You know, calendars, and goals, and projects, and adult conversations, and business. However, I'm getting acquainted with the Staying at Home thing and I like it! I'm taking pride in our garden, things are getting done, all but an overdue eyebrow wax. Days can be challenging and sometimes I get stir-crazy because of offset naptimes (Finley at 9, and then Macie and Finley both at 1). Macie of course, can be a little melodramatic about stuff. That is her personality, and she likes to test me - I am buying a recommended book tomorrow - it's called, "Have a New Kid By Friday"...it's supposed to be a good and helpful read. But it's all really great, because even more, we have our mornings and weekdays off with Eric. Something I've missed out on since we've been married. Mornings are quick, but special. They include cereal and Macie cuddling on the couch watching looney toons. And when Eric's off days are on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, I get more than just dinner with him at home rushed because of baths and bedtime. I get the whole day... lunches, gym, errands, hikes, fishing, etc. and relaxing dinners. Bedtime can wait.
I like to SAH. Therefore, SAHM I shall be.


2 comments:

gina marie said...

You do have such a beautiful life. I love that you love staying at home. I know it can be rough sometimes. You always have such a positive and beautiful outlook. I wish I were more like you.

Jackie said...

yep never thought I'd drive an mini van but I'm such a fan now. good job with the garden... impressive