Friday, August 10, 2012

One (major) hiccup to a successful week

Well, it's Friday.  We have survived our first week of school.  It's been a good week!  Monday was the first full day.  I dropped her off and picked her up and it only took 45 minutes to get through the drop-off pick-up line each time.  There's got to be a better way!  The bus!  Macie wanted to ride the bus, so we decided to give it a try.  It was so nice just walking her to the stop - there we met a little girl who is also in her class!
All smiles, and about 7 minutes before the scheduled bus drop off time, Finley and I start heading to the stop to greet the bus.  I even had a frozen Sonic slushie for Macie in my right hand.  I wasn't quite there when I see the bus go by, and I never saw any kids get off the bus.  Hmmmm... something wasn't feeling right.  Where is Macie?  After talking with neighbor kids, Macie WAS on the bus... but she never got off at the bus stop.  The worst case scenarios starting filling my head.  Did Macie get off at the wrong stop?  Did Macie never get off?  Is she lost?  I have been drilling her about Stranger Safety lately, and even though I had neighborhood mom's driving all over the neighborhood looking for her, I wasn't sure how she would handle a strange car pulling up to her.   Needless to say, I burst into tears while I tried to dial the bus system, then the school.  Everyone is calling everyone.  Friends calling other neighbor friends, Principal calling teacher, teacher calling bus transportation, bus transportation to Macie's bus.  While it probably was only 15 minutes time, it felt like days.  I prayed and cried and felt so helpless pacing my street hoping to find my little girl soon.  
Finally we get a call.  Macie is STILL on the bus and the bus driver is bringing her home.  After the route was finished, and all children left the bus, he did his standard procedure of walking down the the aisle and saw Macie sitting 5 rows back crying.  I guess I didn't adequately prepare her for how the drop-off works... how would she know, and without me standing there at the stop waiting, she had no idea.  BROKE MY HEART!  She was fine, happy to have her slushie and the rest of the evening I cried on and off for hours.  The reality is, she is still so tiny.  Just days into elementary school and still a baby is so many ways.  I have never wanted to hug her so much.  I am glad that is over, and thankful to God for helping me through it.  Macie took the bus the next morning, but now, I pick her up from school.

On this same day, I found this note in her backpack.  Of course, every parent wants their child to be uber smart.  I am no exception.  I am bragging, yes, but I can do that on my blog, right?
 And what happens when Daddy (Mr. Restauranteur - who hasn't been working in a couple weeks) goes to have lunch with Macie - only to be sitting in a lunchroom that is a little out of control... Well, he skips lunch, puts on an apron and gets to work.
 Ahhh school is cool - but I'm exhausted.  Macie is exhausted.  We all are looking forward to a weekend to unwind a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I know that feeling!!!!
So sorry Katherine, it's the most horrible experience a Mom can have!!! Honestly, because of my accident the kids use to take complete advantage of the fact I could not move fast or run. I remember putting one of those child, for a better word, leashes on him, I was always so scared. The entire time I was shopping it was horrific thinking of things that could happen with my disability. So sorry for Macie and you!! much love

Jamie Lynn and the boys said...

Oh Katherine! I didn't know this story. I'm so sorry you had to feel that way! I can't imagine how you felt and how LONG it must have seemed. We have a buddy system at the bus stop and have "contingency plan" drills with Jackson so he knows what to do. Bet you by the end of the year, she'll be begging to ride the bus again!