
Simple.
Simple jokes, said again and again
Simple instructions, twisted to become a more of a pun instead.
Simple wisdom would be the words we live by.
Simple Italian statements she'd mutter, like "kill that damn fly".
Simple in that she never drove a car
Simple in that the internet - well she never would have thought that far!
Simple crochet hooks, would make us a blanket -and a half!
Simple instruments she'd complement with her vocals and a laugh.
Simple love that dug deep.
Simple loyalty that wasn't cheap.
Simple moments together in which we will always cherish.
Simple ingredients made the most perfect Italian dish.
Simple ways of life, and a life that was rich
Simple, that when she saw an ambitious woman, she'd say, "Go washa dish!"
Rich in the laugher, that contagious laugh.
Rich in family values, spread generations past.
Rich in the love she had for her spouse
Rich in the music that constantly played through her house.
Rich in her story, it was honest and pure.
Rich in my awe, as I saw her faith she held dear.
Rich in the culture she brought from Italy
Rich in the memories I'll always hold with me.
Nonnie, in more ways than one, you taught me simple, you taught me rich. I want to be rich in the wonders that your simple ways give.
I'll love you forever, forever, it's you I will miss.
Nonnie Sings from Mark Cafiero on Vimeo.
5 comments:
Kat, That was beautiful!! That now is my favorite poem!! I love you!!
tears
I am crying again. Katherine you captured Nonnie in your words and the love you felt for her as well. You are so precious! I know she is smiling in Heaven! And wants to remind you to "Don't say No to drugs."
you carry her heart...you carry it in your heart
thinking of you
BEAUTIFUL poem...makes me want to meet your Nonnie.
Post a Comment