Friday, January 29, 2010

Motherly Wisdom

My grandmother Phyllis always says, "You can tell a lady's class by her elbows". Meaning, a *lady* should never have crusty, elbows. And we should take care of our elbows so they are always smooth. It's the littlest things that make an impression!

My Nonnie always said, "Don' manja for the people they're in their own yards" -translation (because of her accent), Don't mind other people, they are in their own yards. Meaning, quit caring so much about what other people are doing! You don't know their circumstances!

My Mom has told me " There are two things you should always have in life: Good Credit and Good Friends". Enough said!

I love these one liners from moms. Moms seem to always have the best advice, and that is why my mom is the first person I call when I am in a pickle. It makes me wonder, what will my advice be? I don't feel all that wise yet... but I want Macie to say someday, "My mom always says..."

And today I was cleaning the bathroom... and you know what I realized? You should ALWAYS keep the baseboards in your bathroom clean. Is this advice? Yes, but maybe not the wisdom anyone would look for. But seriously. Always keep the baseboards in your bathroom clean. Because they will get noticed. Okay. I need to keep working on this...obviously :)

My question to you: What advice has your mother or grandmother given you? I'd love to know... and follow it too!

9 comments:

Colleen said...

That is great advice! WIPE DOWN THOSE BASEBOARDS! I totally agree!

Things my kids will probably say that I always said:
"Keep on doin' what's right."
"How many fruits and vegetables have you had today?"
"You don't have to want to; you just have to do it."
"You only get one body; treat it right!"
"If you don't want to be a garbage man, you better get good grades."
"I want everything off the floor but furniture."
"Have fun!"

mindytrimble said...

Mom always lead me to the one you can always lead me in the best way possible!
~My mom says always ask God for help and he will be your help.
~She always quotes this song written like 15 years ago
~~Life is Hard but God is Good
~Do unto others as you would
have done to you.
~Don't care about what others think
only what God thinks.
~Children are the most precious
gift that God has given and they are an earthy example of how
God loves us.
~Take your vitamins/herbs and drink lots of water.
~Do not be easily offended.
~Do not swear.
I could go on, but those are just a few.
Mostly spiritual advice, but very practical too.

Jackie said...

I like this one:
Make "someday" today...
I got it from a Dove dark chocolate wrapper.
I'll pass that one down to my children.
I like the one above about:
"you only get one body, treat it right"

I think I'll go check the baseboards in my bathrooms. Wont be pretty.

carrie said...

I must be a hoochie mama because my elbows always look horrible. I will have to work on that one.
My grandma who grew up during the depression always said, "waste not want not" My mom is a little quircky and so is her advice. In Junior high she would tell me , "Let it all hang out" when I got too uptight. Never took that too literal.

Anonymous said...

From Grace.... A few of my favorites. "There is a fine line between opporunity and temptation, know the difference". On going to church.."If you don't go to his (God) house he won't come to yours". The one I always use, "The less you do, the less you are capable of doing".

Anonymous said...

From Grace.. That is" opportunity" Hate when I don't check my spelling!

gina marie said...

Great post Katherine!

Katherine said...

Awesome! I love the wisdom comments left here!

Here are my favorites:
"You only get one body; treat it right!"

Children are the most precious
gift that God has given and they are an earthy example of how
God loves us.

"Let it all hang out" - Hahaha Carrie!

"There is a fine line between opporunity and temptation, know the difference".

Anonymous said...

My Mom I love hr......her and my Grandma two peas in a pod.......Their words of wisdom that has left a lasting impression on me.
Always wear a smile and clean underwear!!!

Love Grammie