Thursday, March 11, 2010

Weeks leading up...


3 years ago, I can remember my every move. With it being past my due date, I was just waiting for my water to break. Very aware of every move of my own, and every move inside of me. I was a big house. A very comfortable big house.
I remember staring at the empty nursery, thinking in unbelief that sounds of a baby's cry would soon live in this room. I had my bag packed, and sitting by the door, and I waited.
It was unfathomable to me that this baby that was coming was actually going to grow into a PERSON.

A person with opinions, and feelings, and, a say in every matter. A person that would take over the house, make a big mess, spill chocolate milk on the couch about 3 dozen times. A person who's laugh would radiate my heart, who's tears could pierce my soul. A person with more love and innocence to fill our house and our world than I knew possible.

At this time in my life, I was so unaware of the amount of SPARE time and freedom I had. I worked 2 jobs and thought I was busy, but I had no idea what "busy" meant. It was an easy task to jump in the car and go get a pedicure, or last minute plans to see a matinee at the theater... oh, those days are long gone. They are possible, but require scheduling and planning!

I was unaware of my influence in this world. I felt like a person merely walking and talking and enjoying life, but with little impact. And I was unaware of the lonely, unfilled part of my heart. I had no idea it existed, but I also had no idea of the degree it would be filled.

3 years ago today, I was even-tempered. I don't think I ever yelled. Now, I can yell. And sometimes, it's the only way I am heard.

Then, when I thought of a mother and a daughter, I thought of MY mother, and me as her daughter. I took my mom's love for granted, because she did what she did best, and she loved me as my mom. And now, I see through her eyes, the love she has for me. Because I have it for my own daughter. It is bigger than life itself.

Three years ago, Eric was a handsome charming husband, with passion for his work, and a playful partner for me. We would chase eachother, get super competitive in tennis, and be silly and act like kids. Now, he is the same charming handsome man with an overflowing desire to play, but wow, has he changed. It's amazing how wise, and even-keeled, and responsible he is. And what a family man he has become. I have always felt safe with him, and I know I always will. I was his #1. Now, WE are his #1.

Three years ago, Marlin thought he was the center of our universe. Within a weeks time, he realized he was no longer and was depressed for a week. Since then he has taken on a protective role with Macie. He watches her every move, and will even try to attack the vacuum cleaner if it gets close to her. He still loves to play tug-a-war,. He pulls with his entire body when playing with myself or Eric--NEVER ever has he let us win. With Macie, he plays, and tugs, almost to indulge her desire to participate, but he is so incredibly gentle . Yet, he has never let her win.

Our life has changed. I can't believe my baby is going to be THREE!!! And as Macie would say, the "Dora Tations are out", There is so much to celebrate.



7 comments:

Amy said...

I loved reading this post. Happy Birthday to Macie! Wow.. 3!!!

Katie said...

Awww, love it!
Happy Birthday Macie!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Too sweet for words......love you Kat!!! Thanks for becoming my son's wife and giving me such a beautiful little girl...I am so very blessed. Please send a pic of Macie in her "Princess dress".

Hugs to all
Grammie

Kat said...

Happy Birthday! Where did time go hard to believe our babies are 3!

gina marie said...

I can't believe she will be three also! You have the sweetest family!!! Happy Birthday Macie!!!

Jackie said...

Man I remember being even-tempered as well.
Can't wait to see how Macie celebrates her birthday with Dora and friends :)

carrie said...

Happy Birthday Macie! Party like a princess. Dora rocks!