Saturday, August 14, 2010

Homemaker envy

Maybe it's the hormones, but maybe it's just me as my life begins to evolve and revolve around my family... I have homemaker envy!
I want to be on the ball. I want to be Joan Clever/Martha Stewart. I want my house to smell like apple pie. I want it to be clean and organized. One little problem... I'm just not anywhere close.

We fired our cleaning lady because she was becoming unreliable... and silly me would schedule her on a Wednesday, leave for work with a dusty house and carpets that need vacuuming... AND have guests scheduled for dinner at 6, and somewhere around the time she was scheduled to arrive, I'd get a call at work saying she couldn't come... . Talk about adding stress to one's life rather than taking away...

No doubt about it, I am not the best a housekeeping. Laundry pile has become a fixture on our couch. I learned to look past the soap scum when reaching for the shampoo. Thirsty plants hanging on for dear life... And well, you've seen my "before" closet.

I'm happy to say that for 5 weeks now, I am a CHANGED woman. After a full weekend of cleaning this house top to bottom, I created a little chore chart for myself. It gives me a daily chore that takes no more than 30 minutes, and all I can say is, anyone can pop on by at any time. My house is CLEAN. And has been for over a month. And will continue to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! I've been meaning to do this for months. Right now my goal is to do One load of laundry every day. Start one and then put away from day before. and then do one more project. I love that you are so organized! you are my Martha Stewart!!! xoxo
Pumpkins

gina marie said...

all I can say is I have Kat envy.

Carrie said...

You have way more motivation than me. I'd make the chart and never use it. The only time I EVER stuck to lent was when I sat next to you at work. Do you think you could move in next door and then maybe i would stick to a chore chart?

Katie said...

I remember making a chart when I was pregnant with Nora. I still do it somewhat... but without the chart. And definitely do not do laundry everyday. My laundry day is Sunday, I do 4-6 loads, sort, fold, put away. Way to be ambitious!!