Ok... let me rate myself. As far as organization, tidyness, good housekeeping... Martha Stewart is a 10. I, on the other hand, am probably a 4? And thats an improvement.
I'm totally working on it. I'm not a complete mess, but I find myself always trying to catch up. Thus, one of my resolutions was routine.
In addition to getting up early for the gym, my routine also includes: Starting laundry in the morning, folding and putting away at night. Saturdays are for linens and bathroom cleaning, and Sundays are to clean floors. Actually, I started this routine (minus the gym) in the last couple months of 2007, and it actually worked. I realized if I do that (listed above), everything else seems pretty manageable. Being a working mom is hard. No question about that. But honestly, would I get more done, or feel less overwhelmed if I stayed at home? After talking to Gina, I think my answer is no. First off, the baby takes precedent over everything else AND makes a mess.
So, as I was catching up on laundry, and folding t-shirts, I thought I had some blog material. I learned Martha's way of folding t-shirts a long time ago, and I love how nicely they fit into drawers. Check it out!
Another tidbit I came across was from the fly-lady. Grab a laundry basket, and run around and pick up everything in the house that is not in its place. Once all is in the laundry basket, distribute to its respective home.
Is this all old news? Probably for some of the readers.
By the way: On this so called scale (again, Martha is a 10), Gina is like an 8, Colleen is a 10, Eric is--uh I don't dare say, but he does make the bed every morning AND takes excellent care of all the man stuff (fixing things, replacing lightbulbs, etc) and is an awesome landscaper too!
Another note: Its so funny... Before Macie came along, I thought there were not enough hours in the day. Then Macie came and I wonder what I did with all that time that I now spend tending to her needs. And even more recently, Macie is moving (usually headed for wires, outlets, the cats tail, etc.) and I wonder what I did with those moments where she was busy playing and NOT mobile. I can't even begin to imagine what its like with 2! I guess I still have time to blog (at the expense of that laundry I was catching up on!).
7 comments:
Hello Katherine,
Great post! I am going to try Martha's t-shirt method. Being a 10 myself on your scale, I often find myself cleaning Jenny's place all the time. She's about a 1, bless her heart. But I love her I love her I LOVE her!
Anyway, those are all handy tips, even though you could call me "MISTER Stewart".
Being a mom is hard work??? hahaha that's cute. Try running a Fortune 500 EMPIRE.
JUST KIDDING KAT!! You are awesome and an incredible mom! And I am totally inspired by you and Gina.
Your kids are all so well behaved and Macie seems so dang happy.
When I have kids of my own, I just know they are going to be obese slobs. Oh relax, that's my plan! I want to feed them Krispy Kreme Donuts in three hefty servinge each day. It will be a fun experiment to see how big I can get 'em. Then I plan on sueing Krispy for BILLIONS for making my kids so fat! Muhahahaaha!
I am SO not an 8...but thanks! Kat, you don't give yourself enough credit. You are doing a fabulous job!!! Working full time and caring for a baby is hard work and I am always impressed how "together" you are in every aspect of your life. I am so proud of you!!!!
Love, Geenie
Katherine, you are very sweet, but paaaleeease! I am definitely NOT a 10--not at housekeeping anyway--it doesn't rank high enough on my priority list. I would rather be a 10 at something else, which is why most of our Christmas decor is still in the dining room and not in the attic. I'm in no hurry. It'll get done. But there are much more important things...like listening to teenagers and holding precious babies.
I think everyone has to find their own level of comfort when it comes to organization. My family seemed much happier when I gave up trying to be an A+ in cleanliness and settled for about a B-. Our home may not be completely emaculate, but it's definitely comfortable and we know where to find a dishcloth if we need one.
By the way, I remember watching a video you posted of Macie cracking up while you played catch with her. I thought to myself, 'Now THERE is a good mom!" You could have been cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, or catching up on a gazillion other things, but instead you were focused on what really matters. "Family .... isn't it about time?"
Anyway....you, Eric, and Macie are all 10's in my book. I think you are such an awesome family and I am so thankful to know you.
One last thought...I am OLD and I have been doing this (homemaking and family life) for a VERY LONG TIME. When you do anything as long as I have, you can't help but improve. So, give yourself another twenty years of practice and then come talk to me! :)
Speaking of organization...YOU are the one who had all of her Christmas shopping DONE on the 19th of December. You GO, girlfriend!
Awwe! Now suddenly I feel OK about being a 4. Still gonna work on it, but thanks for the pep talk Colleen!
Ok, here is my thought. I have learned that a 10 or a 1 does not matter....what does matter is that you take every second that you can to enjoy your life and family!!
No one will remember that your home was immaculate after your gone......what they will remember is that you lived, loved and cared.
So be good to yourself, take care of that beautiful love child, kiss my son every second you can and remember to be thankful for everyday you have with the ones you love. God Bless!!!!!
I love you all so very much,
Mom, Grammie and Patsy
"IMMACULATE!" That's how you spell it! I knew "emaculate" was not right. Well, I guess I'm not a 10 in spelling either. :)
Post a Comment