Just as I am saying these words today.
Let me just precede this statement with a little something about my mom. She is an amazing woman. Beautiful inside and out. I can absolutely say she has made me into the person I am today, and has taught me invaluable lessons in life. I love my mom more than I can speak. I mean, she is MY MOM, you know? MOM to me is an all emcompassing word... it represents so much. Mother's Day makes me reflect on her role in my life, and being a mom myself makes me appreciate her so much more and and even more everyday. Mom-- if you are reading this, I love you so much.
Now, can I just say, "Oh No! I am becoming my Mother!"
I remember one birthday not too long ago, I received a birthday card from my mom. It came on time, and was a funny card. Inside it said exactly this "Hi Honey, I hope you have"
--Thats it. She didn't even complete the sentence! Funny how she still addressed the envelope and stamped and sent it to me. I thought, "Is she ok?"
I called her immediately. She laughed and explained that she was writing in my card, and the phone interupted her. Not realizing she stopped mid-sentence, she sealed, addressed, stamped, and sent my card. I still kind of didn't get it. And if you had asked me 2 days ago, I probably still would have said I thought this was odd--but not totally out of character for my mom.
Last night, my sister called me. I think she knew my sensitive state because she didn't bring it up right away. Eventually though, she did mention that the Thank You card from Macie (Macie's 1st B-day Present) said, "Dear Gina, Nick, Luke and Jay; Thank you for"
And that's it. And of course you can imagine what went through my head..."Oh No! There is no hiding it-- I am becoming my Mother!"
Quickly I realized. This is probably NOT the only incomplete Thank You note that has been sent. In fact, I do believe with my very hectic life, this is what happened: All this happened with time lapsing in-between.
- Macie's 1st B-day (Mind you, this was shortly after Eric's restaurant closed and we were frantic to find a new place to call home).
- Went to the store- bought Thank You cards.
- Tallied up in my head who gave her what, began to write each Thank you Card. "Dear So and So, Thank you for" and matched up an envelope for each card. Oh Shoot-- where is my address book?... oh well, I'll find it tomorrow.
- Found the Address book, addressed the envelopes. Oh Shoot-- no stamps. Ok, I'll buy some at work tomorrow, I will not forget to take the Thank You cards.
- Stamp Machine at work has been removed. Ugh, gotta go to the store.
- A few weeks later, I actually remember while checking out, to ask for stamps. Yey!
- Addressed envelopes sitting on my desk for 2 weeks now, OK, I got to get those out! STAMP AND SEND! YES! I DID IT! (Just call me Martha, right?)

So, if you received a card, and it's not complete, and (obviously) not very personal... please PLEASE forgive me, and know that Macie loves ALL of her B-day gifts. She has a flighty mom. And one of these days she may just see that the apple doesn't always fall too far from the tree.
2 comments:
I love your post. Very well written and with complete trains of thought!!! Yep, you are turning into Mom!!! But, really, that is not a bad thing.
P.S. I failed to mention that I accidentally put Grandma Great's thank you in the envelope for Granny and Granddad and vice versa. Granddad e-mailed me and said, "we didn't give Jay $7.00." ooops.
Post a Comment