
Gotta love this Earth.
I'm making changes, and I'm becoming more green by the minute. Here are some changes I've made:
As of March, we have at-home pick-up for our recycling. (It adds up fast too! Did you know the soda can you throw away will be on this earth for 500 years?? BUT, if you recycle it, it will go back on the shelf quickly, and the number of times it can be recycled is endless!)
I'm thinking about doing the compost thing (if I ever figure it out!) I'd love to throw my grinds in the back yard, and reap benefits from it! Katie is teaching me all about it!
Today, I worked all day today in the dark (minus the lamp at my desk).
Also, at work I joined the Green Team. I tried taking the dictator-like approach to ban all styrofoam cups, and enforce reuseable mugs - HR didn't approve (boo!), so instead, I was limited to putting a friendly sign above the cups noting some Styrofoam "facts" (like that our company goes through 60 thousand of them a year). I watched people all week, reach past the sign for a styrofoam cup without regard. grrrrr.
All of our lightbulbs in our house are the energy efficient. (FYI: Those things have some mercury in them, so you have to be extra careful not to break them, and you can't just throw them in the trash when you're done.)
Our family is signing up for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Fresh, locally grown, organic medley of fruits and vegetables every week through October. I can't wait! You should look it up in your city. It's not just a Tennessee thing :)
Lastly, I vowed that from this point forward, I will be aware of the reusable bags sitting in my trunk, and make a concious effort to use them for every trip to the store .
p.s. As Oprah always does, she brings some new found awareness of this topic also. Check out: http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20090422-earth-day
5 comments:
You go girl! Your post inspires me to be more aware of how I too can be "green."
(I'm Eric's old friend from high school band, and I really enjoy reading your blog)
Sounds like you are doing lots of really great things for our Earth! I wish my company had a Green Team! Instead, a few of us just hide the disposable cups and put out the mugs where everyone can see them! I've been thinking of joining a CSA. You should be sure to write about that, once you start getting stuff. Does yours require farm work? Seems like most of the ones up here ask you to come once a week during the day to help harvest.
I'm going to continue commuting on my bike.
Oprah is stupid and I hate her. I hope her plans for saving the earth are less hypocritical and more effective than when she preached about weight loss. (what happened, Oprah? I see you are back to wearing mumu's on the show!)
Thanks for being an inspiration, Katherine! :)
my new slogan - "don't pollute...commute!"
P.S.
I'm typing this is the dark :)
Post a Comment