Friday, September 17, 2010

Eric and the Fame and the Glory

We've had somewhat of a whirlwind of a week. All starting with Monday.
Do you remember back in the day when I put this out there?
Well, I already know that Eric's huge heart and big dreams will allow him to attain something major. He has more drive and passion and diligence than just about anyone I've ever met. I'm not much of a dreamer, so I love living vicariously through him.

Anyway, a couple months ago, we got word that the Food Network was coming to town to do a casting call for The Next Food Network Star. So, obviously - when else would Eric have the opportunity to be face-to-face with The Food Network? It was a no-brainer, we were going. We headed out Monday morning without any expectations.

We walked into the Hutton Hotel and put our name on the list. The stoic lady at the desk said, "Have a seat, it will be awhile".
In a room packed with Foodies and superstar hopefuls, we waited. It was an eclectic group to say the least. Every person got a strict 3 minutes, and that was that. We watched people go in, and come out. Never did I see anyone run out with a yellow ticket like they do on American Idol. Just in, and out. Even their faces were telling us nothing. We had no idea what to expect. 3 hours later, Eric was up. He went in, and 3 minutes passed, then 6, then 10... and he came out.

"SO?!?!?! HOW'D IT GO???"

Here's what he told me in my own nutshell:
The Lady asked him what his show would be like: He told her his ideas. She seemed intriqued. Asked him some more questions, and gave him some promising head-nods and smiles. Asked if he was married... and he said YES (of course!). Then asked him to come back the next day. 6pm sharp.

and he said..."I can't"

"... I have a Basketball Game"

A BASKETBALL GAME.

Not any basketball game... and not like NBA, or semi-pro, or college, either... a rec league that was currently undefeated and going for the rec-league title of CHAMPION. No cash incentives, no trophee to earn, even the team paid for their own t-shirts.

Back to Food Network thing: Lady confirmed that he was giving up opportunity for a basketball game, Eric said yes, and she then proceeded to give Eric her personal number and asked him to call her the next day at 11 am. Okay. She followed with "This is very important - we need to find a way for you to film a demo."

Later that evening, lady calls Eric. Says they have changed their flight out of town, and can he come in Wednesday morning to film a demo. He says yes (as opposed to: I have to wash my hair).

Tuesday:
Eric goes to his basketball game, and Macie, Me, Eric's boss, Eric's boss's girlfriend make up the audience on the stands.

Team wins both games and are declared REC LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!! They didn't get any awards... but, boy it made their hearts feel good :) And doesn't this just speak to Eric's passion once again? The boy LOVES basketball. So, even if it is just a rec league, he has taken it SO seriously, you would think he had millions riding on each win. I gotta say... love this about him.

Wednesday:
Eric films his demo. He had to bring a dish with him which looked AMAZING, then teach them a technique (quick way to clean a pomegranate), and then take a food quiz. If you ask him, he might tell you he feels good, but to me he's been overanalzying.

My take on it is that he put himself out there. Pursued a dream, and what more can you ask from a person? I'm also guessing he did awesome, and pretty sure we'll hear back in October. But, until then...

Super grateful for all we have in life in this moment, and excited that the opportunity arose, and so proud of Eric for taking it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soo exciting!!!!!!!!!!! Our hearts are beating so loud with excitement I bet you can hear them from there. Move over all of you wannabees a real star is on his way. Can't imangine your lives could get any better but it sounds like something big is about to happen!!!! Love you guys, Grace and Dad

Anonymous said...

only Eric.....that's all I have to say.
Love you guys, Auntie Nicole

gina marie said...

Oh that is so exciting. No matter what comes of it, Eric has character! I so admire him. One to have the guts to go to this audition and two to keep his priorities in check...he didn't let his team down. What a good guy! I am sure you will hear back in October!

Anonymous said...

I am the proudest Mom in the world. I am so very glad that I never missed a basketball game, baseball, soccer, band practice, football game or band competition, even when things were so bad for us.
You have given me a life time of memories. Now to see you so successful in life............but most of all son you know what is most important, enjoy every minute of your beautiful family, so many fail to do that. Last please take care of you!!!! You are my heart son!!
I am hugging you and Gina is so right, you will get that call back. Ok need to fly the goodyear blimp now!!!

Katie said...

That is so awesome. Can't wait to hear more!

Carrie said...

God is good and it sounds like He has some exciting times ahead for you.