Thursday, September 16, 2010

Marital Advice

My Granny Phyllis, and Granddad George have been married 65 years today! Incredible!
I can only hope that will be Eric and me in 58 more years!

Granny and Granddad STILL look lovingly into each other's eyes... he treats her like a princess, and she takes care of him like no other. They have routines that work like clock-work... and their routines revolve around each other. They sit in their side-by-side lazy boy recliners, Every morning, they take Keeper, the dog for a walk, and then share the newspaper. Granny fixes Granddad his cereal and glass of orange juice and they take their meds.
Mid morning is usually an outing together like, Home Depot, or maybe a round of golf.
Granny always fixes Granddad the most perfect turkey sandwiches with bread-and-butter pickles and chips. Followed by a couple Famous Amos cookies.
5'oclock = COCKTAIL HOUR. Nobody messes with cocktail hour. Granddad fixes vodka tonics and they sip and chat.
It's just perfect. And exactly where I hope to be in 58 years!

Only weeks ago, I asked Granny for some marital advice. Because I am SO SURE that Eric loves it when I correct him on proper dishwasher loading skills time after time. I know, I know I should be thankful he even attempts to load the dishwasher at all, yet, I continue to nag him...
I asked Granny if Granddad does anything like this that makes her CRAZY. And is it worth nagging, does he ever get it right? She said Granddad STILL loads the dishwasher wrong, but it doesn't bother her. She just quietly fixes it behind him.
She followed that by telling me "not to run off that great guy you've got! He is a true jewel".

She's so right. He is one in a million. I'm going to let him load the dishwasher anyway he wants, because I want to keep him around another 58 years! Go ahead honey, just put that plate in backwards. I love you THAT much :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right Kat............be greatful....his Father didn't even know there was a dishwasher, one that ran on electric that is!!!

gina marie said...

yeah, he's a keeper...not the dog Keeper...someone you want to keep.