Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hump Day


Macie brought home some sort of cough and boogie nose thing from school. But why wouldn't she? Those three year olds still eat mulch and pick their noses. Oh, and Ms, Sharon mentioned she caught Macie kissing Garrett. (what?!?!)
Then, while we were trying to stay in to avoid germs and icy Tennessee roads from last week, Macie was loving her sister up close, then cough, no matter how much I told her not to... even physically removed her from Finley's personal space.
Come Wednesday night, Finley had her first cough.
Thursday just a little worse,
Saturday, had coughing fits and her poor little 4 week old body could not suppress.
Sunday, downright scary coughing and sneezing rages that would turn her face red - almost purple. Eric came home at 11, I was panicky, and we went straight to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.
The doctor said we did the right thing, they got us right in, and immediately put Finley on oxygen and sucked out a horrid amount of mucus from her system. Doctor said this is typical RSV which spurred brochiolitus.

It was late, and I was a sobbing mess. We were admitted, and stayed at the hospital for 2 nights. I must say, this is one time I was happy to hear we would be staying at the hospital - just for the reassurance of an experienced medical team nearby.
Apparently RSV symptoms peak on day 3-5 and then the child gets better. Oh, and most kids have RSV by the time they are 2. Many adults have it all the time, but to them, it is a common cold. To a baby under 6 months, it requires medical care because the mucus clogs their airways and they don't have the ability to blow their noses, clear their throats, etc.

Now, it appears we are over the hump.

After many prayers, we were discharged yesterday afternoon. Finley is looking better, more alert, and even happy although she still has coughs and congestion. It's tough being in a childrens hospital because there are so many children that will be there through Christmas, and have ailments far more severe. My heart goes out to those kids and parents, and a special Christmas prayer for them this year.

Finley continues to prove to be such a sweet and laid back little baby. She was wired up from head to toe, and yet, content and easily soothed.

And now one more thing: Christmas presents will be late this year, I missed the deadline for sending our packages :(.

3 comments:

Laura Thomas Hall said...

I am so glad Finley is home and over the hump. She is on our prayer list.
Oh, and Macie kissed Garret???

gina marie said...

The best gift for any one of your friends and family is a healthy Finley at home with her family. So scary! Motherhood isn't for wusses.

Kat said...

How scary! I hope you have a more relaxed week! Good to know that Macie loves her baby sister.