Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thank you again... From Me!!

Thank You!!
Here is what I wrote in my making memories 6703 blog. It never really had a chance to take off. So I thought I would share my feelings on this. Many of you were so supportive, and I thank you!!


To our loyal customers, friends and family--and to my hard working, believing Carrabbamicos,

Words alone cannot describe the pain we feel as a team. We were a group of dedicated people who loved to entertain, be hospitable and make memories for people. I want to thank all those involved in letting us be a part of your triumphs and tough times you experienced as people. We helped celebrate many engagements, wedding rehearsals, baby showers, graduations, proms, going away parties not to mentioned all those birthdays. We were a part of so many community organizations and had a blast raising money for there causes. On the management side there was nothing better than helping one of our dishwashers learn English and watching them work there way to the line to be a respectable chef. The pride in their eyes and the confidence on their face as they plated up someone one's memory was priceless. There were those times a new Carrabbamico on the serving end was so overwhelmed by all the new information that they just wanted to give up and by the 5 day they were nailing their menu presentation as if they had been doing it for years. As a Proprietor I have had the privilege of watching my managers grow everyday right before my eyes. Like watching your child crawl, stand, walk and run. Rob, Sarah and Ryan could not make me more proud. They stood by me through thick and then, for better and for worse. We had so much fun working that I would literally bust my butt just to get back to the restaurant. This restaurant wasn't just a restaurant it was HOME!! Home to all of our customers. Our unbelievable loyal customers. Johnny Carrabba said to me once "Celebrate being your customers favorite place to eat". That's what we did every night in Olathe. We celebrated life.

The restaurant closing is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. I had to cancel many wedding dinners, community fundraisers, business luncheons and events. This restaurant was so a part of me that I felt at times when I took a breath the walls bended in and when I exhaled they bellowed. Early in the morning and late at night I would sit at random tables just to get to know it little better--to see what our customers saw, and to see how we could become the only choice in Olathe. I told my staff at just about every huddle up to "make your emotional connections". "Leave it all out there", and "Work this shift as it was your last one" --I said that just about every night except that Friday night. I couldn't even get those words across my tongue. Because it was true.

There were a lot of promises I made to a lot of special people and I will stay true to my word. These 51 special people will be very successful no matter what. I hope that when they look back they realize they were a part of something special. Something pure and beautiful. They will move on and so will our gracious loyal customers who, bless there heart, have fought so hard to keep us here. We would be nothing with out you. I truly feel we have set the standard in Olathe for hospitality and serious food. I also realize the economic struggles of today and I know that ever penny earned is so important to spend wisely and I thank you for spending it with us. As for Rob, Sarah and Ryan I strongly know that they will be the leaders for whatever they endeavor. I wish that we all could keep moving mountains together but I now truly believe that nothing in this business is forever.

Thank you to my wife Katherine my daughter Macie, Debbie, Rob, Sarah and Ryan, Olathe and all of our Carrabbamicos for being my family. Through the tough times and the great times you where always there for me.

As of right know the signs are stripped, the decor is out, all the product and even the chairs are gone. But no one will ever take away our reatsuant's soul and all the memories we made. We will always be level 5, we will always be 6703!!

I love you all.

Mille Grazie,
Proprietor
Eric V. Martino
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Olathe, Ks

3 comments:

gina marie said...

Eric, it must be so hard to see your restaurant empty...especially after all the time and love you put into it. I know only good things are in store for you!

Colleen said...

Just last night a friend of mine was telling me that her five-year-old son has a thing for soy sauce. He puts it on EVERYTHING! She said they one time ate at Carrabba's in Olathe and asked if they had any soy sauce. I interrupted her and said, "That's an ITALIAN restaurant!" She nodded in agreement as she continued her story. She couldn't believe that they were told, "No problem, we can get you some." Evidently, you or one of your Carrabbamicos ran to Target to satisfy a customer's request. These are the kinds of stories people tell about YOUR restaurant, Eric. Thank you for providing our community with delicious food, incredible service, and a place to share memories. You will definitely be a success where ever you go from here. THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

LaffyCaffi said...

I love that story about the Soy Sauce and you know it doesn't surprise me at all.

Eric, I'm proud of you brother, you are the most amazing manager, I'd work for you any day. I've never met anyone who cared about NOT as much the company... but the PEOPLE! Your staff and customers are surely going to miss you.

That said, I CAN NOT WAIT to hear about what is next. I'm sure it's a bit stressful, but these are also exciting times. Let me know if you need anything during this transition. Disclaimer: I don't do dirty diapers.