Monday, June 23, 2008

Vices



Everyone has one. Its that little something that makes you happy. It's part of your routine. Your day or week goes a little nutty without it. I think many of us have more than one vice.

Mine is my morning cup of coffee, my blog, my morning jog (this is recent), an afternoon piece of chocolate, my Monday evenings with the Bachelor(ette),and wine.
Eric's is the gym, his pudding time (first thing in the morning, and last thing at night), his Sports Center, Jack Daniels, etc.

Macie has a few vices of her own. The biggest is going to be taken away from her in the near future. It's amazing how she loves her binky, and I don't like it. It's like a drug! Yesterday I caught her alone in her room... she had hunted down several, lined them up, and popped each one in her mouth. She's hooked. We have always limited binkies with bedtime, but now she stands by her crib and cries until she gets one. (OK, I know-- my bad for giving in, right?)
I know this binky thing can get out of control if not dealt with. One time, I was stopped at a traffic light, and the man next to me was sucking on a Binky. I mean, this man was in his mid-thirties, in professional attire. It was bizarre. I was maybe expecting to see him picking his nose, but certainly not sucking on a binky. Anyway, July 2 is Macie's day to lose the binkster. (Katie, I think I am going to try your way--taking away mid-nap time)We'll see how it goes. I'm nervous.

6 comments:

Katie said...

haha. it will be fine. hell at first but fine. you have to commit fully. cut them up before throwing them away so you can't hunt them down at bedtime (because you'll want to). after day two, you'll be golden.

Anonymous said...

ok kat here is a story of the nu-nu...as you darling husband called it!!!! i tried taking it away......NOT!!!!! then we started potty training...one day the nu-nu was so very disgusting i flushed it down the toilet and both eric and myself cried and waved good-bye to the nu-nu..........NO PROBLEMS..........he started sucking his thumb and carrying around his blankie......for real, ask him it was hysterical. i think, and its only my opinion......wait awhile longer.........its comfort for her.
one day you will just know it is time and you will not have a problem. you can try this....another trick i used...put the nu-nu in your mouth and go ackie auckie and throw it down. if nothing else it will make her laugh!!!


love you all and miss you

grammie, toto and piper

Anonymous said...

oh and p.s.....you forgot to mention the ONE BIG vice of eric's and mine also i have to admit......GO DOLPHINS!!!! hope macie's cheerleader outfit fits her this year....i want a BIG poster size picture of her in it.

kisses

Anonymous said...

oh pss

eric's blanket was called (gicker)!!!!! lol

Colleen said...

I heard about someone who snipped the end off of the binky with scissors. When her little girl brought it to her crying she said, "Oops, it's broken!" and they threw it away together. (She was four, so it was time.) Personally I never tried this method. I think the main concern doctors have is orthodontics; so if you're willing to pay for braces later, let her have it! I doubt she'll take it with her to kindergarten. :)

My vices: tanning beds, warm bubble baths, and occaisional chocolate.

LaffyCaffi said...

What's wrong with being a male in his 30s, who happens to like to suck on a blinky every once in a while. If' its in the privacy of my own car,then that means it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

STOP LOOKING AT ME!

P.S. It's either that, or cigarettes!